Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Giant Among Men

All week I have been thinking about President Hinckley and his passing. I can't help but feel what a great loss it is to the whole world that such a great man is no longer with us. At the same time, it is near impossible for me to be sad about it. I have thought back on the things that I have learned from him as Prophet and there are so many. One thing that has always touched me is his deep love for his dear wife. What an example they are to what we should strive for as husband and wife, sealed for all eternity. I was forwarded a poem this week that I really liked:

I imagine he’s running to Marjorie now,
Yes, running, not waving his cane.
I see him embracing his father and mother
While they keep repeating his name.

I see him now meeting his forebears,
Brother Brigham and Joseph are there.
Sweet reunion of prophets, united by service
That only such noble men share.

I see him embraced by the Savior
While Father says, “Good and well done.
So faithful in stalwart endurance, I welcome
My noble, most excellent son.”

I then hear the ripples of laughter
As he says the reception’s just fine,
But he hopes that he’ll get an assignment or two
Since there’s no need to waste any time.

I can hear his clear voice in the stillness
At the close of this sweet Sabbath day,
Have faith and move forward – there’s work to be done.
President Hinckley would want it that way.

Anna M. Molgard
January 27, 2008

Watching his funeral many different tributes touched on the contributions he has made to the world and to the church. He has done great work and will surely be remembered for that. I will remember him as something different though. I will remember him for all that I learned from him. I learned from the spirit he brought with him as he bore testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel. I gained my testimony that we have a living Prophet on the earth as I listened to him speak, and felt the spirit confirm to me that he was a Prophet of the Lord. He taught me to love the scriptures. He challenged me to be a little better, and stand a little taller. What he taught most to all who saw him serve, was how to be like Christ. He taught how to love everyone despite religion, race, culture, etc. He taught by example in a way that makes everyone who sees him want to be their very best and serve the Lord's work more fully.

No comments: