Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Good book!

I just started reading a book written by my Family Life teacher. I LOVE this class and the teacher so thought I would buy his book and see what I thought. The book is called "Everyday Parents Raising Great Kids." I recommend it so far, it is actually a lot like his class. Anyway- I started reading it today and absolutely LOVED this quote from the end of his chapter on Dysfunctional families. He talked about how you shouldn't let anything that has happened in your past determine your future, but here is the quote:
Thomas Paine once said: "The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly."
I thought that quote was SO good. How true is it that the more we are faced with, the more we are blessed with. How glorious it is to be faced with a trial and come out on top. The things that come easily to us, we often take for granted and do not fully appreciate or take advantage of, but the things that we have to fight for and overcome become a part of us that we will never lose. This just made me think about the attitude I should take when I am confronted with trials and hard times- the harder it is, the better it makes me. It's almost like a game... how hard can it get, and how strong can I become. He also says in this chapter that the worst kind of "life pain" is the kind that produces only pain. We have to learn to take it to the next level, and that is when it produces value. Good points Dr. MacArthur... read the book if you get a chance- it really makes ya think!

No comments: